Tuesday 18 February 2014

Made By Rae Ruby Top

Sewing for yourself after a long drought can be scary, but not with this pattern! Rae of Washi Dress fame, has done it again with this pattern. The Ruby top is a simple, flattering top that is incredibly quick to put together.

 
The design is such that there are no tricky fitting bits to contend with (and no closures either). Although next time I think I would take it in at the sides a smidgin, depending on the fabric. The yoke is a cotton poplin and the bodice is a voile from Spotlight. It actually works pretty well for this top.

Apologies for the dodgy photos, but with a broken camera and a 6 year old photographer, things were never going to be stellar! It is much nicer to see clothes worn though, so I have included the blurry shot anyway.

The only problem I had was with the bias binding. This was a personal problem. I have actually never made bias binding before and thought I had developed a cunning folding technique that would give me one long strip with minimal effort, because it is likely that I would develop a brand new technique that no one else in the sewing world has ever thought of...Anyway, I ended up with heaps of short strips that had to be inexpertly sewn together and made very wonky binding. (I have since discovered the right way to do continuous bias binding - totally life changing, will blog later)


I would also recommend following the pattern and doing the stay stitching around the neckline before applying the binding. I didn't, (because I know better than Rae?!?) and I regretted it because the neck stretched a bit and was harder to deal with.

Anyway, all in all a great pattern and I will definitely be sewing it again. I might use the free yoke lining video tutorial here next time until I regain my bias binding confidence!

How have your Ruby tops gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment